Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rebate Loans


I'd like to borrow $100 from you. If you don't have it in cash, I take credit cards so you can borrow it to lend to me. I'll pay you back, not with interest, but eventually. I'll give you a form to fill out and some barcodes on a box and maybe a coupon. You fill out the form, make copies of everything and mail it all to me by a certain date. Let's say three or four weeks from when you make the loan. Long enough away that you don't feel compelled to do your paperwork right away. No rush.

If you forget about mailing me the paperwork, or mail it too late, I'll keep the money. If you do fill out the form -properly- and send it in in time, I might loose it. That's why you need copies. If I get the form and the barcodes on cardboard on time, I'll send you a check, eventually. Seriously, what is the point of borrowing a hundred dollars unless I get to keep it for a while.

When I do get around to sending you a check, look for an envelope that looks as much like junk mail as possible. If you throw the mail out because it looks like the last thing a check would come in, I get to keep the money.

What am I going to do with the hundred that you are paying credit card interest on? Why make interest on it of course.

No comments: